The Flyer Kid Diaries: Fosse for Christ


I have to say I have not been very good this time around with transitioning from vacation back to my real life.  I mean who really wants to go from seeing their best friend every day to spending hours upon hours in Times Square? I don't think that is anyones dream, but something happened yesterday that gave me some perspective.  

On the roster with your typical Times Square workers, Policemen, Flyer Kids, bus guys, etc, on Sundays there are also Bible Beaters.  They run the gamut from peaceful, quiet women passing out literature, to men with microphones shouting out scripture and damning you to hell.  As a Flyer Kid whose job description includes suggestive dancing and slinking around making a public spectacle, we can sometimes become a target for these groups in a negative way, but this Sunday was different.  

I worked the late shift this week.  Sundays are pretty slow to begin with, and this Sunday was no different.  I was just about to hit my breaking point when out of nowhere this woman starts dancing around, not unlike how we do, and passing out Bible flyers.  I was not the only one to notice the similarity, for soon other Flyer Kids, came up and started commenting on it to me.  Once the woman was done with her one woman flash mob she danced over to me and said, "See, I do like you! And it works!"  

This moment was priceless to say the least, and something I will never forget.  And by the time it was over I had completely forgotten how tired and over it I was.  I guess it just goes to show, a little Fosse for Christ can go a long way. -xo Sydney 



Comments

Popular Posts