Me Too.


Me too.

My first community theatre production when the man playing my father pursued an inappropriately close relationship with me.  Sending me flirtatious MySpace messages and texts before I was old enough to understand what was happening, only that it didn't feel right.

Me too.

In high school when a boy younger than me thought it would be ok to take a stage kiss to a french kiss without my consent. 

Me too.

During a college tech rehearsal when one of my closest friends, as we were slow dancing, whispered sexually explicit things into my ear, bringing me to tears, all while making eye contact with his girlfriend across the stage.

Me too.

At my 21st Birthday Party when a Pimp tried to recruit my friends, with newly earned BFAs in Theatre and Dance, to work at his strip club. Until my mom shut that DOWN. 

Me too.

My first boss in New York who plied my roommate and me with alcohol while he chased us around his "back room."

Me too.

When I was riding the subway and looked across the car to see a man's penis blatantly exposed in the gaping leg of his shorts.  As I looked up horrified he made eye contact with me and smiled. 

Me too.

All the times faceless Times Square Fuzzies hollered crude language at me from behind the protection of their masks and, when I ignored them, grabbed me attempting to force me to listen. I'm looking at you, Woody. 

Me too.

The countless times I've been groped, leered at, or otherwise "handled" just in the course of doing my job.

Me too.

When just walking down the street becomes something you dread because you'd just like to make it from point A to point B without someone harassing you. 

Me too.

Seeing my friends' stories come out over the past few days has left me both deeply sad and incredibly inspired.  The women in my world are simply amazing. Sadly, my experiences are mild compared to those of many women I know.  But every single story deserves to be heard. I hope someday we all have the courage to stand up and tell our stories.

Yes, I have been a victim, but I have also been complicit in the mistreatment of so many of my friends and peers.  If our culture is going to undergo meaningful change we all need to start by looking at ourselves and our own behavior and acknowledging how we have failed.  Failed ourselves, and failed each other. Only then can we do better.

I think 2013 Sydney said it best, "MEN OF THE WORLD. I am an intelligent, well educated, and well-spoken young woman.  I am also kind, considerate, and caring.  This does not give you the excuse to talk down to me and attempt to make me feel insignificant.  I WILL bite back.  You have been warned." - Sincerely, Sydney

Comments

  1. Love you so very much Syd. Thank you for sharing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Thanks for telling your story

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you for sharing. More people everywhere that have been victims, regardless of how severe their situations were, need to share their stories if they can. You are not alone. You are totally right. You're a brave, strong woman. ❤ never apologize for that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts