#tonightsbill: San Diego

While in San Diego last week I got the opportunity to see four shows! Your eyes are not deceiving you, I said FOUR! And lucky for me, my best friend Charles was in two of them. 


First up I saw Les Miserables at LAMBS Players Theatre.  As anyone who knows theatre will tell you, Les Mis is an absolute beast of a show.  The music is beautiful, incredibly well known, and difficult to boot, but the LAMBS Players handled it with ease.  

I had previously only seen the show once, the first Broadway revival, so it was wonderful to get to revisit this piece.  Especially in the LAMBS intimate setting. 




Thursday I got to see Charles as Claudio in Much Ado About Nothing presented by Intrepid Shakespeare Company.  My college actually produced Much Ado in my second year, which Charles was also a part of.  I was thrilled and so proud to get to see him take on the flawed and troubled Claudio this time around.  Intrepid's production was set in 1940's Italy, and their Beatrice was the very image of Martha Gellhorn.  So obviously I loved that. ;)

Friday I got the chance to check out a production of The Odd Couple at The Welk Resort courtesy of Charles' girlfriend Kailey who, by the way, will be starring as Laurie in their production of Oklahoma! opening next week! 

I had never gotten an opportunity to see The Odd Couple before, and I had a wonderful time.  Both the men and women in this production were so lively and funny.  And as always it was a pleasure to get to spend some time with Neil Simon's words.

Finally, on Monday night I got to see both Charles and Kailey in a reading of Follies at Cygnet Theatre in Old Town.





  

Having only seen Follies once before, and under the influence of heavy cold meds, I had forgotten how absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking a show it is.  I am not ashamed to say that I definitely teared up through most of the numbers.  

As I understand it, this reading was an absolute who's who of San Diego Actors, but Charles, Kailey and the other young actors definitely held their own.  Their portrayals of Young Ben and Young Phyllis were both haunting and beautiful.  This performance definitely had me leaving contemplating the show's themes and what my past and future may hold.  As a two night reading I feel privileged to have seen this beautiful presentation. 

Getting to see him so rarely in person, let alone on stage, I have to say that I left San Diego brimming with pride at the work my best friend is creating, as well as the community of wonderful and talented people he has managed to surround himself with.  If you ever find yourself in San Diego, don't hesitate to check out what Charles Evans Jr. is up to.  Have you seen anything lately? No? Than get off your butt and see something! -xo Sydney 

Comments

Popular Posts