My Dos and Don'ts

I've been dealing with a lot of ups and downs this week. In trying to find an equalibrium I stumbled across a post on Instagram I found extremely helpful.  An artist I follow who's going through something similar compiled a list of triggers and comforts to keep close by as a reminder.  This really hit home for me. Of course I know the things that set me off and help me relax, but putting them in checklist form totally appealed to my Type A brain.


I sat down yesterday and, with a little thought, here's what I came up with:

Dos:

- Drink MO Juice or kombucha
- Soft/easy yoga
- Listen to light podcasts : the cooler, missing richard simons, dear sugar
- Peace and Calming, Surrender, Stress Away oils
- Watch Twilight
- Use Breathe app
- Write: journal, blog, letters

Don'ts:

- Drink more caffeine
- Strenuous exercise
- Listen to music
- Listen to politics podcasts
- Make social plans

Don'ts: Caffeine! While my best friend in the morning, or as an afternoon pick me up, if I'm already spiraling out of control why add fuel to the fire!? Going for a run or other intense exercise doesn't work for me either. Rather than relaxing me it tenses me up more, agh! Music too, even intrumental at times, is too emotional and fuels my instability rather than reigning it in. Politics, fuhgetabahtit! And probably the absolute worst thing I could do to myself in times of high anxiety is put myself in a social environment.  It always backfires and I end up making myself feel bad or taking my anxiety out on others. No thank you!

Dos: Treating my body well.  Reminding it I care and that I know it's freaking out is always the first step, for me, towards feeling better.  So if I can drink a cold pressed juice or kombucha at my desk I feel better much faster.  If I'm at home, it's hopping on my yoga mat for one of Adriene's meditative practices.  Keeping my Pocket Full of Scents in my bag for emergy oil aplications is key as well. When I find myself worked up and anxious at bed time Twilight is my answer. The soundtrack and colors are so calming it does the trick every time. The Breathe app on the iWatch is a godsend.  Being reminded every 1-3 hours to take 60 seconds to breathe?! 😍 If all else fails, dumping my thoughts into a journal or in a rough draft blog post at least gets everything out of my body and somewhere concrete where I can re-visit it (or not) later. Getting crafty with a letter to a friend usually helps too. 😊



I hope, like the Instagram that inspired me, that this post was helpful to you.  I'm finding great confort right now in others who are brave enough to share their process.  Even relative strangers.  I think it's always good to be reminded that there are other people experiencing the same things we are. What are your top Dos and Don'ts? -xo Sydney


Comments

Popular Posts