Focus vs. Growth

The question I'm mulling over this week is one of focus vs. growth.


Focus : Laser :: Growth : Roots. Two opposing images, and yet you can't have one without the other. So why, Why. WHY do we feel like we can only have one at a time?  I'm in the process of working on my interior life as well as expanding my personal and business life, and without intending to I've got myself convinced that the three are at odds with each other.

First, focus. I know I thrive on alone time, it's the juice that keeps me going. I know this about myself, and yet I still allow those guilty feelings to overcome me when I choose myself over other people. And when I feel someone trying to take that away from me I completely shut down.

Second, growth.  I've spoken about community here on the blog before and it's a thought that really stays with me.  A need for community. As good as alone time is for my mental health I need to stretch my social muscles too.  For one, being successful in any business calls for it.  The community is half the fun :). And what's the point of living if you don't get out to share your life and experiences with other people? And yet, sometimes this terrifies me.

The good news, I know the majority of this struggle is happening to me because I let it. Because I can't get out of my own head.  Because I take every moment of my life too seriously. Because my idea of fun is reading Presidential biographies. 😳 But being aware is the first step towards making changes, one baby step at a time.

I guess what it all comes down to is be yourself. What a novel concept. But if we were simply able to tap into ourselves and listen to what our souls are saying at any given moment all this interior struggle would just fall away. I know. Simple, right?

Ok, but assuming we're not all spiritually enlightened I've come up with a "Stop. Drop. Roll." routine to help me bridge the Focus/Growth Divide.


Stop: Remember your intentions and limitations.
Drop: Your baggage. Let those fall away and ask, "Will this opportunity serve me?"
Roll: Communicate confidently and move on.

Does this work all the time? Hahaha no way! But it's one more tool I have at the ready.

How do you all handle the Focus/Growth balance? I'd love to hear your strageties! - xo Sydney

Comments

  1. Great post! For me, sustained focus (on the right things or the right relationships) automatically leads to growth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts