Savory Indian Summer Pasta

As summer is tapering off and we're falling into Indian Summer here in NY I find myself craving some of the smells and flavors of fall.  But I'm not quite ready to give in juuuust yet! I promised myself I would not make either Pumpkin Bread or Chili (my two fall/winter favorites) until after the second week in September.  We'll see if it make it.  To tied me over I have come up with what I think is an amazing recipe that blends some of my favorite summer and fall flavors. 

Ingredients: 
2 cloves garlic
1 cup mushrooms sliced
2 slices red bell pepper diced (about 1/4)
2 handfulls spinach
2 handfulls noodles of your choice (I used Cavatapi)
1/2 a lemon
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
salt
pepper



Begin boiling enough water for your pasta.  Salt, cover and wait for it to boil. While that's going, cut up your mushrooms, red pepper, and garlic.  In a big skillet start to cook the garlic and mushrooms in a dollop or two of olive oil.  Once the garlic is fragrant and the mushrooms tender add in the red peppers.  Add your pasta to the water once it is boiling and cook until al dente.  Strain and set aside. 


Once the peppers start to tenderize add in your spinach.  Make sure you are stirring to mix all the veges together as the Spinach is cooking down.  Turn off heat. Squeeze your 1/2 lemon over the cooked vegetables and drizzle balsamic vinegar as desired. 


Combine pasta and vegetables and you are ready to eat!  To make this last for two hearty portions I cooked up a Tilapia fillet which complimented this perfectly.  Though as the season progresses I could totally see adding steak instead.  I also added a little extra pepper for flavor. 


I hope you all are enjoying this transition into fall as much as I am.  I am rediscovering my love for creating things in the kitchen, and curling up in my reading chair for an evening night cap.  What are you finding to make these in-between days special.  I'd love to hear! -xo Sydney 

Comments

Popular Posts