Mama Tami's Turkey Chili

I know I keep saying this, but fall really is my favorite time of year.  And one of my favorite fall staple meals is my mom's chili.  Growing up I was never a fan. I didn't like the texture, or the sweetness of the chili that I had tried.  Then there came a wonderful day when my mother, Tami Turner, used Ground Turkey and Spicy Italian Sausage instead of Ground Beef in our chili, and my whole perspective changed.  Gone was the mealy, grainy texture that the beef had given us, and we said sayonara to the sweetness I had hated and welcomed the heat with open arms!


1 lb ground turkey
1 lb spicy Italian sausage
2 cans black beans
2 cans diced tomato
2 cans tomato sauce
1/2 packet McCormick's Chili Seasoning
Cheese of your choice


Begin by browning the mean and add in your McCormick's Seasoning in the bottom of a large soup pot. While the meat is cooking, open and drain the black beans.  Once the meat is cooked through, add in all your cans slowly, stirring between.  Let simmer as long as desired stirring periodically. Just like that you're done! How easy was that?


Don't be afraid to mix it up either.  I have been known to throw some banana peppers or diced pickles (yes pickles) in there for some extra tang.  Last winter adding blue cheese instead of the traditional cheddar was my favorite.  Adding Mac n Cheese on top is always a solid choice. My mom sometimes likes to add a couple cans of corn and some jalapenos to give things more of a Mexican flair.


As the colors start to change there is a very good chance you will see a batch of chili hanging out in the back of my fridge waiting to be eaten.  In fact, it is my go to meal in the winter when I am working in Times Square.  It is just so warm and hearty I have yet to find anything that compares.  Happy Chili Season! -xo Sydney

Comments

Popular Posts