Yoga Ritual

I've been following Yoga with Adrienne for about a year now, thanks to Melissa Robinette and the CKO's! I started off with one-off practices here and there and did my first 30-day challenge last fall.  I then documented my journey with #YogaRevolution here on the blog in January.  

Last week Adrienne dropped the Yoga Ritual series on the members only site.  Sidebar, it's only $9.99 a month, there's an app that brings all the practices to your phone, and if you're not a member, STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND GO JOIN

I'd been feeling out of whack and was looking for something structured to shake things up, so I gave it a try. 




Day One - Ground: I didn't prep for today's practice.  Because if I did I probably would have had my mat laid out with Grounding waiting to accompany me as I began this journey.  Instead, I pressed snooze a few too many times, untangled my matt from a heap on the floor (I wasn't very nice to it during weekend cleaning), and instinctually reached for Northern Lights Black Spruce.  Boy am I glad I wasn't prepared.  The deep woodsy scent of the Northern Lights embraced me, supported me and helped guide me into meditation during this first practice.  Come to find out, that's one of its best uses.  Thanks intuition for knowing me better than I know myself.  In keeping with the lack of prep, I didn't have my supplies ready for Lemon water, or time built into my day for a walk, but I'll do better tomorrow!

Day Two - Stretch: After tossing and turning all night with sore muscles I was relieved, to say the least, to wake up to this mornings Stretch practice. It was difficult, but I rolled out of bed, squeezed some lemon juice for my water, and got on my mat.  The five-minute sit was really nice this morning, helping me center my mind and slowly wake up for the day.  I'm getting my walk in today after work, extending my usual walk home for a loop around the Capital and a peek at the river.

Day Three - Core: I love Adriene's Core practices. They work you hard, but I never walk away feeling like I heaved and wrenched my body through it. This practice was a nice reminder than getting in shape doesn't have to be difficult if you're just disciplined and consistent.

Day Four - Oxygen: I was feeling a little sinus pressure this morning so a little Oxygen was just what I needed to clear that out. I am grateful for Peppermint, Lavender, and Lemon for helping carry me through this practice at an extra early hour. Flooding my system with the healing powers of air and meditation set me up perfectly for a day outdoors at the Missouri State Fair.

Day Five - Detox: This. Day. Was. Awful.  I woke up feeling like my face was on fire.  So on went the Peppermint, Lavender, and Lemon and to my mat, I went.  How fitting that my sinuses should flare up on Detox day. By the end of practice, I was feeling better, but it's true what Adriene mentioned in the video.  Sometimes it really does get worse before it gets better. 😬

Day Six - Power:  I went through today's practice a little later in the morning than usual and I felt it. But I have a busy day, running from a family event to bartending a private party, so the heat was welcome. The meditation today was a great reminder to harness that energy and pace myself as I move through the day.

Day Seven - Ease: Hallelujah! By the time I was done bartending Saturday night, after 12 pm, my feet were blistered, my legs were on fire, and my back was dangerously tight. Honestly, it was all I could do to brush my teeth, put on my pajamas and get in bed. I was so tired and sore I couldn't bring myself to ease into the Ease practice. So I spent Sunday on the couch and waited until today, Monday. Ooo baby was this a juicy one.  Perfect for sore muscle recovery and a great wrap up to this 7-day series.

Conclusion: This reboot was exactly what I needed. I could tell after only a couple days that I had really been working my body too hard.  Practice and exercise is fine every day, but I need to work on a better flow to keep things in balance instead of see-sawing back and forth between extremes. Carving out time in my schedule for an added walk was putting a lot of excess stress on my plate. I already walk to and from work every day, so instead of adding anything to my schedule I simply took a different approach to those daily walks. Creating intention out of routine usually opens things up for me and this was no different.  I am in love with morning Lemon water! I often add Young Living Vitality oils to my water or seltzer for extra flavor and to cut some acid out of my diet, but I am hooked on the ice cold water and lemon now.  After this week lemons have earned their permanent place on my grocery list.



Short version: I'm so grateful to Adrienne for this practice.  I will hold on to these lessons moving forward and return to them in future when I need a mental/physical reset.

Did any of you participate in Yoga Ritual last week? Yoga has been a huge part, huge, in my recovery over the last year.  I don't know that I'd have my life back without it.  Thank you to everyone who has practiced with me, and encouraged me from afar.  This journey is far from over! - xo Sydney


Comments

Popular Posts