#YogaRevolution: Week One

Here we go! #YogaRevolution 2017! While I was recovering from retina surgery over the Summer and could only do low impact exercise I discovered a beacon of light on the internet. Yoga with Adriene.  Since then I've explored her extensive library of YouTube videos and completed her 30 days of Yoga challenge.  So when I saw this years 31 day #YogaRevolution go live I was on board!

Here's my experience with Week One!




Day One: Here we go! New Years Day! Woohoo! I was asleep on my couch by 10:30pm last night, like the old woman that I am, so after treating myself to a little bit of sleeping in I woke up READY to practice.  I'm glad today's focus was EASE. This was a good re-introduction to daily practice and left me feeling energized and relaxed.



Day Two: INTENTION. The phrase, "move from a place of connect", is really sticking with me after this practice.  Think about it, what would happen if we reminded ourselves of that mantra throughout the day.  How much lighter would we feel? That's my challenge for the day.

Day Three: Today was my first day back at work after the Holiday weekend so I had to HONOR that on the mat today and try and focus through the practice though my mind was everywhere else. "What do I have time to make for breakfast today?" "Ugh, I wish this practice wasn't 30 min long" "I'm so thirsty, why do I feel so dehydrated?" It's becoming clear to me that my main challenge with this 31 days is going to be quieting my mind and being grateful for my time on the mat while I'm still ON the mat.

Day Four: I have been drowning in negative energy this week so taking the time to focus on my PRANA in today's practice was 😍. Keeping this practice in my back pocket for energy re-sets in future.

Day Five: Today was tough. I had to do my practice an hour earlier, at 6am, this morning because I had an early doctors appointment in Columbia. However, I was very kind to myself the night before and got my mat and clothes all set and ready to go.  Going in to it, I was concerned that today's practice, RHYTHM, would be a high intensity flow practice, which my body would not have been ready for, but it turned out to be all about finding your own inner rhythm and listening to the clues your body is giving you. What an idea!



Day Six: AWARENESS/ATTENTION is right! I've never completed a core workout that was so low impact. Don't get me wrong, there was still intensity and shaking muscles, I just wasn't wrenching myself around. I'm sitting at my desk, hours later, and my core is engaged but there's no tension in my neck and shoulders.  HIGH FIVE!

Day Seven: As far as yoga practices go, balancing practices are NOT my favorite, so STABILITY was a bit challenging for me. Mostly because my feet hurt and I get uncomfortable so I focus on that instead of the things that would actually help make the practice more enjoyable for me. But again, #YogaRevolution is not about muscling through poses and forcing yourself to stick to them so I was able to find some new ease that I can hopefully carry with me until next time.

I've been trying to get out for some walks as well but, after a mild December, January has come to Mid Missouri with avengeance, and I just don't have it in me to go walking in 3 degree weather. But when the weather does cooperate, the sunrise view is always worth it!


Are any of you participating in #YogaRevolution? Let me know in the comments! -xo Sydney

Comments

Popular Posts