Who's Keeping Up?

Keeping up isn't always easy. In fact, it can be down right torturous. But as never ending as it can sometimes be it is equally important. With that thought in mind, I have a follow up for you to my February piece Tuned In. If you didn't read the first installment you can find that here.

The current political climate can be felt everywhere you turn, and the podcast sphere is no different. I'm still listening to all the podcasts I mentioned in Tuned In, but over the intervening months, my queue has doubled in size.  Here's what's in my ears.


Up First: As soon as my Yoga practice is done in the morning on goes Up First.  Hosts Rachel Martin, David Greene, Steve Inskeep and guests sum up the morning's top stories in 10 minutes. So before I've even had my coffee I know what's going on in the world. Thank you Up First!



Constitutional: Lillian Cunningham's long awaited, anxiously anticipated follow up to Presidential is here! Throughout this series, Lillian is picking apart the Constitution along with our nations struggle to come together and fulfill the promise of this living document.  Only one episode is live so far, but I'm excited to see some new perspectives and to better understand how the Constitution still shapes our country today. Lillian, if my some stroke of divine intervention you are reading this, be my pen pal?



It's Been A Minute: Sam Sanders is back! It's an embarrassment of riches.  Sam spends his Friday episodes catching up with friends and exploring the week's news.  Uniquely not just what happened, but how it felt. Snaps for that. His Tuesday episodes are deep dives into one person or topic of note. As Sam would say, " the world is complicated and people, too -- and sometimes you just need to talk it out." Preach, Sam. Sam's Aunt Betty is a highlight as well.


Ear Hustle, Dear Sugar: Two very different podcasts, neither of which have anything to do with politics.  If you're looking to understand the experiences of others or to inject some radical empathy into your life, these are for you.

One more thing...

Can we quiet our voices, turn off Caps Lock, and dial up our actions? Your rhetoric falls on deaf ears here. That goes for politicians and Facebook soap boxes alike. What I want is to see you do better. Small, genuine, acts of kindness will make a longer lasting impact than any rant on social media. I know it's tempting but those shallow words are not worth anyone's energy.

If you have something to complain about then there is an action you can take to change it. Get involved in a local election, write to your Representatives, simply living your beliefs and being able to articulate them to others is enough. No one is perfect at this, myself included, but you can't take any action at all if you're not keeping up!

Want to talk more? I'm your girl! Got a perspective I'm not hearing? Bring it on! I want to know what you know now! -xo Sydney

Comments

Popular Posts