#tonightsbill: October 2015

Don't freak out you guys, but I only saw plays this month.  Yes, I'm feeling ok. And yes, they were both great! So here's the skinny! 


On a very rainy Friday I took in the new play The Humans at Roundabout's Laura Pels Theatre on 46th Street.  The play is centered around a family as they are having Thanksgiving dinner at their youngest daughters new Brooklyn apartment, and it. Is. Real.  The complaints her parents have about the cramped space and run down apartment, the insecurities the daughter feels about her relationship and career all were very real to me.  Not since August Osage County have I seen a play that made me feel so many things at once.  This beautifully acted piece is definitely worth seeing, especially as we approach the Holiday season. 


After MUCH anticipation I saw Misery on Halloween.  I bought my seat up in the nosebleeds over a month ago.  I knew I wanted to see this show and I thought Halloween would be the perfect night.  My friend Emily agreed and bought herself a ticket last week! THEN when we got to the theatre on Saturday we were upgraded to second row! 


These two actors make a great team. Laurie Metcalf gave a perfect performance as crazed #1 fan Annie Wilkes.  She was everything I wanted her to be and more.  And with each scene of the play you see more and more why Bruce Willis was the perfect choice for the subject of her adulation.  So much of Paul Sheldon's work in this play is in the silences, in his reactions to Annie's actions and the habits he develops when she's not around.  I can't say that the play lives up to the book, yet there's just something about feeling so unsettled by what you're seeing on stage but not being able to leave that is so satisfying.  If you are at all a fan of Stephen King or of the thriller genre I would definitely get yourself to this show! 


BONUS: I also got to see Emily perform in her Level 2 Grad Show at The PIT and it was awesome! Proud does not even begin to describe how I felt watching her perform.  Way to go Q! 



I have no idea yet what I'll be seeing in November, but I am exited to see what the month will bring! -xo Sydney 



Comments

Popular Posts