Grandma Schilling's Chicken and Dumplings

When I was growing up (and who am I kidding, I'm still growing up), I was lucky enough not only to have both of my Grandmothers living, but also two of my Great Grandmothers.  What's better is sometime when I was in elementary school my Great Grandma Viella moved from Illinois to Jefferson City, Missouri! 

I don't remember a lot about my Grandma Schilling, but I remember playing on the old typewriter in her office pretending I was a great writer, playing kitchen in her cellar with an old set of brown and olive green dishes, and I remember her chicken and dumplings. They weren't something she made very often, because let's face it, they make a mess! But that made them all the more special and delicious in my mind.  I still ask her daughter, my Grandma Karen, to make them for me when I go home but with all the festivities surrounding the Holidays she never has time.  So I decided it was about time I learned to make them for myself.  


Grandma Shilling's Chicken and Dumplings
Makes 5-7 Servings
Broth:
What you'll need:

2 pieces dark meat. chicken 
1 head celery, chopped
5-7 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion diced

I tend to add extra chicken and vegetables to make myself feel better about eating the heavy flour dumplings, but you can use whatever portions you like I won't judge you. 



Salt and Pepper your Chicken, place in pot.  Fill your pot with water until the chicken is covered plus at least one inch.  Add, celery, onion, carrots, and bay leaf, salt and pepper. Place pot over medium heat, and let simmer until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and set broth aside. 



Dumplings: 
What you'll need: 

1c. chicken broth
2c. flower
1tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
Pepper to taste


Mix wet and dry ingredients into a stiff dough. Place on a floured board and roll thin. Cut dough into thin strips. 


Place each dumpling gently in simmering broth. Boil until dumplings are cooked through, add chicken, remove from heat, and EAT!

Despite all the hype, this recipe was vey simple to make.  I bet it would be even easier outside of a tiny New York City sized kitchen, what do you think? What are your favorite family recipes to make this time of year? I'm gearing up to make my mom's favorite Poppyseed and Jam cookies in the next few weeks. Yum! -xo Sydney 

Comments

Popular Posts