Tortoise and the Hare

I'm here today with some pretty shocking news. Slow and steady really does win the race.

We live in a culture of hustle, of hurry up, of instant gratification, and we all fall victim to it.  How many of us Amazon Prime our day to day essentials instead of supporting local business? It's undeniable, and it's a total mess! Our days have become about completing as many tasks as possible rather than cultivating a life which we enjoy or fulfills us.

📸 : Savannah Padget Photography

Even now, as I sit here writing, amid the 100 Day Project, I'm feeling anxious about producing.  About putting my finger on the heart of my thoughts as soon as possible so that I have something to show for my efforts.  So that I can hit publish and wait for your praise.  So that I can be DONE. But that is so far from the point of any of it.  In fact, tackling this need for accomplishment is the reason I took on this project in the first place.  To work a little every day, to chip away at something bit by bit, to develop a clearer creative process.  To discover, through consistency, a new? different? better? way to access my creativity.

As I said, slow and steady wins the race.

My Core Desired Feelings are really doing me right this year, especially In Communion.  It hasn't manifested in the way I expected it to, but it's been beautiful and so fulfilling to experience.  I've been able to re-connect and forge deeper relationships with people from my past I would never have expected or been open to otherwise.  And through those connections, I made another surprising discovery.  Though I may feel as if I'm currently slogging through the mire of a confusing transitional time, so eager to get through the mess and reach the finish line, a lot of the hard work and daily practices I've been implementing over the last few years have paid off, and (to my surprise) it shows.  It took a relative outsider from my daily life to point it out to me, but now I can't not see it, and the revelation is comforting.

The daily yoga practice, so much a part of me now, has reshaped my mind and body in such a way as to give me strength I would never have dreamed of having.  Starting my day with meditation truly has expanded my mind and given my body the sense memory to know that my breath possesses the power to make eeeeverything slow down.  Even in moments of panic.  Making better food choices has fundamentally changed what my body craves, giving me more energy, and turning me into (gasp) a runner! Even this platform here. Bringing as much authenticity and vulnerability, as I can muster to this space, has reached the most unexpected people. Showing me that even in this small community people can surprise you.

If you're someone who's reached out with quiet works of admiration or encouragement, thank you! Your unexpected words have touched me more than you know. Or if you're someone trudging through the day to day of positive change, let me say, I see you! You're doing great! Keep going. You are stronger than you know!

I think we all wonder from time to time (or most of the time) if what we're doing, the small daily choices we make in our lives really matter.  I'm here as living proof that they do. - xo Sydney

Comments

Popular Posts