#tonightsbill: September 2015

September was an awesome month for theatre! My dad came to town, I saw a musical about letter writing, and my roommate's new show started previews! 


When I found out my dad was coming into town to ring the closing bell of the NASDAQ my first thought was "YAY my dad's coming into town!" and my second thought was "OMIGOD WE HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO SEE HAMILTON!!!" 


Luckily we found some resale tickets for a decent price and we got to go! I enjoyed this show even more seeing it on Broadway than I did at The Public.  Leslie Odom, Jr. as Aaron Burr steals the show for me.  Despite being the "villain" to Hamilton's "hero" he brings a warmth and heart to the character that wins me over. 


I found the title of this show to be a little bit misleading.  It is not in fact a show about bugs, but portrays the relationship between a young girl, and her (young and handsome) benefactor as they fall in love through writing letters. Say whaaaaaaaaat? Yes. This is a musical for me. 

Megan McGinnis and Paul Alexander Nolan were wonderful, their voices perfectly matched.  And Paul Gordon's score is everything I hoped it would be.  If you don't know Paul's work, RUN to his website.  His "Emma" is my favorite! 


Also worth noting, when you arrive you're handed a post card and pen and encouraged to write a note to someone you love.  They even provide a mailbox in the lobby and will stamp and mail it for you.  How fun! 


A show I got to see TWICE last month was Dames at Sea, now in previews at the Helen Hayes Theatre.  This gives you that golden age Hollywood feeling. It's lighthearted, silly, and fun.  Like Singing in the Rain meets White Christmas!  And OH can they TAP! I can't wait to go back when my roommate gets to go on in one of her swing tracks! 


What upcoming shows are you guys excited about? - xo Sydney 



Comments

Popular Posts