Let's Go To The Movies: Crimson Peak

On a fine, rainy Friday earlier this month, after a very sweaty ballet class, I  continued one of my favorite Halloween traditions and took myself out to see a scary movie in theaters.  Last year it was Annabelle, which you can read about here, and this year I chose Crimson Peak.  I knew very little about the film going into it accept that the subway advertising looked very creepy and Victorian, which was enough for me. At the recommendation of my friend Jason I decided to go IMAX (which I rarely do, but I also don't argue with Jason), and it was totally worth it! 


The first two words that come to mind when reflecting back on this film are Satisfying and Violent.  For the most part the atmosphere is so still and the actors movements so deliberate, and well, Victorian, that when the wild violet parts pop up it really hits you.  It very much feels like Rebecca meets Jane Eyre, and there is a Mary Shelley reference at the beginning that made my inner book worm SO happy.  I just love smart movies, and that's what this was.  I'm still thinking about it a week later. Though be warned, this is not a horror movie, or even a ghost story, it is a story that just to happens to have ghosts. If you go into it with that mind set you will love it. 


In case you were wondering I did bring my own snacks.  Here's a shot of my home made popcorn and sweaty ballet clothes to prove it! I've still got a few scary movies on my list to watch before this weekend, and I'm in the middle of my final Spooky book Career of Evil.  But nothing has me more excited than seeing Misery on Broadway this weekend! What are your Halloween plans? -xo Sydney  

Comments

Popular Posts