The Flyer Kid Diaries: Pure Imagination


It's amazing the things that go through your head when you're out in the field. The lives that you imagine for people, the impressions they make on you. 

For instance, a few weeks back an older couple, 65+,  took one of my flyers and walked into Forever 21. I immediately started picturing them getting all tricked out and going to the show dressed like two 20 year olds. "What's this store? It looks loud, lets go inside."  I imagined them saying.  What made this couple especially funny to me is that they were not with teenage grandchildren, or anyone who would seemingly be interested in the store. They were entirely fueled by their own curiosity.  I hope when I am their age that I am as curious about new places and things. 

Such imaginings, however, are not limited to the lives of strangers I meet on the street, they apply to myself as well.

I was recently informed by one of the bus guys in Times Square that one of the dance gestures that is part of my designated physical vocabulary is also a gang symbol. #super So of course my mind goes to the possible impressions I have made on people just by nature of doing my job.  Who knows, with just one wrong move I could have found myself in the middle of an underground drug operation or worse! This same gesture is also a sign for homosexuality in some cultures. So maybe it's an international underground gay drug cartel and I am the unsuspecting American girl next door type who gets caught in the middle.  It's all VERY Orange is the New Black. 

Again, I don't think this aspect of my job is unique to what I do it applies no matter what your career is.  Bank Teller, babysitter, publisher, bar tender, ice cream scooper; anywhere you work you meet people who could have amazing back stories.  Try it sometime, I promise you it will make your day go by faster and put a smile on your face.  -xo Sydney

P.S. Here's a little extra treat for you all.  The many stages of working a 10 hour shift... 



Comments

Popular Posts