Is This Home?

📸 Savannah Padgett Photography


Dear Missouri Lawmakers,

I sit here today in disbelief that the state I live in presumes to dictate the choices I may make for my personal health and well being. 

That my state would force me to undergo the mental and physical anguish of an unwanted pregnancy to satisfy the religious ideals of the few.

That should I be raped or a victim of incest, majority male lawmakers could imprison my doctor, and grant my attacker more rights than you would give me.  

The right to decide what is right for her body should be the choice each individual woman, not a body of politicians pushing through a moral agenda. 

Healthcare for women should be safe, legal, free of shame, and abundantly available as should contraception and sex education for all.

I sit here today asking myself, "Is this home? Does this place I've spent most of my life actually provide me the opportunity to live a happy and healthy life?" I'm not sure. 


I ask that you shift your focus from dehumanizing women, women who are your wives, daughters, co-workers, friends, and pivot to pressing issues like gun control, climate change, and others which have daily effects on all Missourians.  Show the women of Missouri that you see us, you hear us, you value us.  Show Me.  I’m waiting. 

Sincerely, 
Sydney Turner

📸 Savannah Padgett Photography

P.S. If you, like me, are horrified by the legislation currently working its way through the Missouri General Assembly, those in Louisiana and Georgia, or that just signed into law in Alabama call your representatives, call Governor Parson. If that feels like too much you can even text the word "resist" to 50409 and Resist.bot will walk you through composing a letter and send it for you.  Last time I sent a letter to Washington, DC I even got a response from Senator Roy Blunt. Please also consider making a donation to the ACLU or Planned Parenthood. Think of what we could do if we all put our money where our mouth is and made a $5 donation this month? 

P.P.S. Women of Missouri (or elsewhere) I am here for you.  If you need a friend or ally as you process your feelings surrounding this legislation or otherwise find me on Facebook or Instagram.

📸 Savannah Padgett Photography

Comments

Popular Posts