My Favorite Fall Movies

About this time of year I have a few movies on loop that I play and pause throughout my day.  Today I'll start one while I'm cleaning my room and I'll probably finish it tomorrow sipping a cup of tea before bed.  Watching these movies is like wrapping up in a warm blanket.  They fill me with a feeling of contentment which is unrivaled by most other things. Who can ask for more than that ?


Autumn in New York.  This movie is simple, truthful, and heartbreaking.  But you leave it feeling hopeful, which is what I like most. 


"Don't you just love New York in the Fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies.  I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address." - Joe Fox.  

You've Got Mail may just be my favorite non-musical movie of all time.  From the first time I saw it on vacation in Destin, FL to now.  Even reading that quote above makes be tear up.  A lot of who I am as a person comes from loving this movie.  Writing letters, reading great books, New York City.  I'll often find myself looking in the mirror after getting my haircut thinking to myself "I feel just like Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail!" 


First of all, this cast is just stacked with fantastic women giving amazing performances.  And second of all, at moments it makes me miss Stephens College so acutely I don't know what to do.  In fact, I think it's going to a women's college that makes me so fond of this movie.  I see the girls walking across campus and taking part in school traditions and I remember when that was me.  It makes me miss grabbing a coffee and making the trek to Senior Hall to rehearse my directing scene only to have to stand out in the cold waiting for Security to let me in the building. :)


Honorable Mention: When Harry Met Sally.  I know, two Meg Ryan movies in one round up! But Meg in her prime is unbeatable. I will fight you on that. Every time I go to the Met I recite the Sphixy scene under my breath, and I know I'm not alone in that. Mostly though, this movie just makes me want to get in stupid fights with Alex Rodriguez. "Baby fish mouth!" 

I hope you all like these movies as much as I do! I'm about to put on Mona Lisa Smile and make my grandma's Chicken and Dumplings.  But more on that later - xo Sydney 

Comments

Popular Posts