#tonightsbill: 2015 So Far...

It has been a LOOOONG while since I have shared a recap of the shows I have been seeing, and for that I am sorry.  How about I make it up to you by talking about all the shows I've seen so far this year? Great!


It's Only a Play: This show broke literally every box office record on Broadway and I totally see why.  Once I started I don't think I stopped laughing for the rest of the show.  Martin Short was incredible, as was the entire cast.  This was a great show to kick off 2015! 


Hedwig and the Angry Inch- MCH:  Michael C. Hall's take on this role was completely different than the previous Hedwig I had seen. Stronger, and more sure of herself.  Plus, the chemistry between Hall and Hall was amazing! 



Honeymoon in Vegas: This was my second trip to Honeymoon and I loved it just as much as the first. This show has stolen my heart. 


Hedwig and the Angry Inch- JCM: I have been to see John Cameron Mitchell as Hedwig not once, but TWICE! He is the original for a reason.  She is meaner, colder, and more vulnerable than I ever could have imagined. RUN TO SEE THIS. 


Nevermore: Around the World in 80 Days meets, Repo the Genetic Rock Opera.  That's all I have to say. 


Lady Be Good: Seeing this show reminded just how quirky, weird and nonsensical 20's musicals were.  And it also reminded me to bring binoculars to City Center.  Both very important truths. 


The Audience: Helen Miren is a force of nature.  And could give The Dr. a run for his money as far as time hopping goes.  If she win's the Tony for this it won't give her an EGOT, but she will have won an Academy Award, an Olivier, and a Tony all for playing the same woman.  


On the 20th Century: It is rare on Broadway these days that you get to hear an ensemble, or a cast for that matter, singing with a "legit" sound, so this felt like quite a treat. Kristen Chenoweth is spot on in her performance.  I have seen her live twice before, but never in a role that seems so uniquely suited to her specific brand of skills. If you can get yourself a rush ticket, it's worth your time. 


Hamilton: Wow. If you see enough theatre in New York there are moments when you know you're seeing something special.  Something that really has weight, and meaning an is going to change the face of the industry as we know it.  Hamilton is one of those shows.  It 1000% adds up the hype.  Tickets for the Broadway transfer went on sale yesterday.  Buy them now because they won't be available for long! 

BONUS! In addition to the shows above I got to attend a live taping of the Theater People Podcast in January as a part of NYC Podfest.  It was so fun to get to see one of my favorite podcasts in action.  And I even one a signed copy of the If/Then Cast Recording.  

In February I got to attend the latest edition of If It Only Even Runs a Minute, the concert series that gives a voice to Broadways most under-appreciated musicals. Keep your eyes peeled for the next one; they are a TON of fun! 


Whew! That is a LOT of shows! What have you guys seen and enjoyed so far this year? -xo Sydney











Comments

Popular Posts