Diffuse Like a Pro!

A question I've been getting a lot lately is some variation on, "I love it when you post diffuser blends on Instagram, but how do you know what to put together and how much to use?" The answer? I apply the same strategies to diffusing as I do to applying topically.  I simply layer on each oil until I feel balanced.

📸: Savannah Padgett Photography
Let's start with how many drops to use at a time.

First, read the instructions on your diffuser.  If you're using Young Living's Aria Diffuser, my personal favorite, you'll add 18-25 drops, but if you're using something smaller, like the Desert Mist Diffuser, you'll only want to add 8-10 drops.  I generally add equal drops of each oil I'm diffusing to create a balanced scent profile, but there are times I'll add just one or two drops to give the blend a small hint of one scent.

So yes, there is a little math involved, but not much! 😊

Now for the actual blending! This is where it gets fun.

When you diffuse Essential Oils they oxigenate the air, helping you maximize their beneficial properties, and makeing your home smell fantastic! With that in mind I often develop a new diffuser blend based on how I want to feel.

As you get familiar with Essentail Oils you'll develop a relationship with them and you'll begin to intuitively know which ones will come to your aid in any given situation.  For instance, I know which oils to reach for when I want to feel more happy, or grounded, or inspired.  When I'm creating a diffuser blend for one of those feelings, I grab 2-3 oils and fit the bill, add a few drops of each and press start.  After my diffuser has been going for a while I can always sense a difference.

Sometimes the feeling I'm trying to capture is wanting to be transported to a new place, and a blend emerges from that.  For instance, I recently shared a "Forbidden Forest" blend on my Instagram inspired by the dark magical forest in the Harry Potter series. For that I began with Cedarwood to establish the grounded woodsy feel, then added Rosemary for a herbacious note, followed by Lavender to create a relaxing, floral feeling, and then topped it off with a bit of Northern Lights Black Spruce for a heady, meditative feel. The results were exactly what I wanted, and I know it's going to be a go-to for me for fall.


A favorite Motivation/Inspiration blend for me recently has been equal parts Abundance and Citrus Fresh.  It's bright, yet spicy, and always gets me geared up for a successful day.

There are also times when I want to develop a blend based on a specific oil.  I often diffuse Clarity in the USB diffuser at my desk to help me focus during the work day. I and add a few drops of Orange oil on top of that to accentuate the citrus notes in the Clarity, and help me further center and concentrate on my task. I also enjoy blending Clarity with Abundance and Motivation as those three emotions accentuate each other well.


Another great approach is using diffuser blends to mimic the scents of your favorite candles. This is a great Ditch and Switch trick! Though candles can create a nice cozy atomosphere, as we learn more and more every day, even the "cleanest" candles are extremely toxic to our families and pets. However, with the power of Essential Oils at your fingertips you can create the same cozy atmosphere and smell while infusing the air with botanticals everyone can benefit from.


My newest favorite of these blends is what the internet is calling the "Anthro Candle Blend." Walk into any Anthropologie store and you'll know what scent I'm talking about! The blend is equal parts, Bergamot, Northern Lights Black Spruce, Lemon Myrtle, Tangerine, Rosemary, and Geranium, and it is 😍!!

So there you have it! You now have all the tools to start mixing your own diffuser blends and get Oily AF! What blends are you going to try first? Let me know in the comments! - xo Sydney

PS. Entirely new to Essential Oils and want to learn more? Read my piece in City Magazine here. Ready to begin your oily journey? Get your Premium Starter Kit here!


Comments

Popular Posts