Down with the Glorification of Busy!


I came across a friend's Facebook post today that dealt with the romanticization of "being busy" and "being stressed" and it set me white hot on fire! This is a topic I care deeply about and has fueled a lot of the life changes I've undergone in the last year.

I find the idea that you have to hustle, grind or otherwise to call yourself a success or successful completely absurd. Just think about the imagery those words create? My face scrunches up when I think about it and I flashback to past feelings of stress, anxiety, and inadequacy. Why do we perpetuate this idea that we must be busy from sun up to sun down to feel as if we've accomplished something? Because it is we, the busy the strung out, that perpetuate this idea.

Now it's not all on us.  This idea is spread wide through our culture at large and it's difficult to escape. For me, environment plays a large factor in when these feelings kick in. When you're caught up in a city that by and large holds up busy and over-caffeinated as it's gold standard it's hard to break away from. But SO worth it! 

Rather than busy I like to carry around the idea of full. If I am doing something from the moment I wake up to the moment my head hits the pillow let it be things that enrich me and take me one step closer to my goals. I'm much happier carrying a full plate when each dish nourishes me, contributing to my physical and mental well-being. Let's just stop being busy and start enjoying our lives. 

I wake up now and go to one job a day instead of 5.  I took a second job on the weekends because it feeds the social part of my personality and it's fun! I meet my fitness goals through a daily (well almost) yoga practice instead of pushing myself at the gym 2 times a week and expecting results. When I want my body to feel good I feed it good food. But let's be honest, pizza and cinnamon rolls are still gonna happen! I stretch my brain with 30 minutes in a good book when I get home after work before Netflix goes on for the rest of the night. 

It took some debilitating eye surgery to slow me down and show me what full could feel like, but it feels. so. good! None of us are perfect, I'm certainly not, but with everything that's going on in the world why don't we do ourselves this favor and PUT DOWN THE GLORIFICATION OF BUSY?! Who's with me? -xo Sydney 

Comments

  1. Love you, Sydney! I think you're figuring it out. It was a good reminder for me, too. #dowhatyoulove #bewhoyouare

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts