#tonightsbil: December 2015

Hi All! December was a big month for me show wise.  I got to see one of the final performances of a beautiful Off Broadway show that is still with me and inspiring me (even though it's February) PLUS I got to see both of my roommates on Broadway! 


I can not say enough about Songbird.  The performances, the music, everything.  It was authentic and genuine from beginning to end and I can not wait to see where it goes from here.  If nothing else, I need this cast recording to make my soul happy.  


The 17 year old girl inside of me who hummed "Totally Fucked" under her breath in the JCHS cafeteria was jumping out of her skin to finally see this show, and it lived up to ALL of her expectations.  Not to mention the added excitement of seeing my roommate Daniel as the Voice of Ernst!


The collaboration between the deaf and hearing actors on stage was beautiful and added a whole new depth and meaning to the piece that I would have missed had I seen in in 2007.  I'm so glad I waited, because 25 year old Sydney got more out of seeing this show than 17 year old Sydney could have ever imagined. 


Seeing Daniel in Spring Awakening was Amazing. With a capital A.  But nothing and I mean NOTHING prepared me for how amazing it would be to see Tessa in Dames at Sea! 


That's me! With an upgraded ticket! In the 7th Row! 


It's her! It's Tessa's name! That's my roommate everyone! AHH!


I first met Tessa last year when she was in Cinderella, understudying Cinderella but never got to see her go on.  Then right before we moved in together she booked Dames at Sea as the off stage cover for Ruby and Joan, hooray! Having lived with her through the rehearsal process, and opening, and hearing her stories every night after she came home from the theatre I was, of course, dying to see her go on.  We had multiple conversations about how important it was that I be the second person she call, after her mother, if she got the call to go on, because I was NOT going to miss this.  

Well, as luck would have it, the news came in a text message and I was sitting right next to her! So as she was running around getting ready to go in early to rehearse I was buying tickets and calling our friend Patrick to go to the show with me and buying flowers and blah blah blah.  

From the moment her face came on the opening credits I was close to tears. She was perfect in every way.  It's difficult to describe the feeling of watching someone you know so well and has worked so hard for something finally get to do it.  I had a moment of clarity during the show when I thought to myself "THIS is why I'm in New York. Nowhere else can you get a call and an hour later see one of your closest friends living out their dreams."


 I think the only thing that could be better than watching that performance would have been to be making my own Broadway debut of some kind.  You hear that world? I'm next! -xo Sydney 

Comments

Popular Posts