October Book Club



I have to say that Autumn is my favorite time of year, especially October.  My love affair began in sixth grade when my group of friends, The Super Six Chix, decided to start a scary movie club.  When we started I was absolutely terrified, and now in my 20's I can't get enough.

Whether it is movies or books, intellectual thrillers are my favorite of the genre.  I like to throw it back to classic gothic lit from time to time as well.  This year for October my book club seriously disappointed me with their selection so I decided to come up with few of my own.


If you like Hitchcock, you will love Rebecca.  The spooky imagery unfolds before you with an effortlessness that is rare to find these days.  And the love story in this one is totally worth the read.  A lot of withholding.  It's very Bronte.  


As far as Gothic Thrillers go The Phantom of the Opera is one of the best.  Don't let the Raoul/Christine plot put you off.  The book, unlike the musical and movie, is much more focused on the mystery of the Phantom himself, most of which is usually left out.  Also, this one makes me try extra hard at the barre, which is never a problem. 


Stephen King is a must read for me during October.  Desperation follows a group of travelers who are kidnapped by a rogue cop in the middle of nowhere Nevada.  I am a little over half way through with this guy right now and things are really heating up! What I love most about King is that his prose and his plots are always more creative and surprising than I expect them to be.  I feel like King is very under appreciated by the general public. So if you haven't yet, give him a chance! 

If I have time I am going to try and squeeze in Frankenstein.  What can I say, I just can't get enough.  What are your favorite books this time of year? I am always up for suggestions! -xo Sydney 





Comments

Popular Posts