Everyday Sustainability

I know what you're thinking, "Earth Month was in April, why are you posting this now?" Well, I'm glad you asked. You're seeing this in your feeds today because I want to pick up the conversations around individual sustainability that started in April and continue moving them forward.

April is a great time to take stock of how you're treating the planet as you move through your lives, but forming lasting habits takes time. So I'm here to share the sustainability practices I've developed over the last few years. I posted some of my favorite swaps back in 2019, all of which I'm still using today, but I've expanded my efforts a lot since then and I thought it was time for an update. 

It's been disheartening over the last year to see sustainability fall to the wayside. Even now that we have a better understanding of COVID-19, and more and more people are becoming vaccinated you still can't bring your own cup to most coffee shops, not to mention the millions of disposable masks which are finding their way into our oceans.

When I start to get gloomy and pessimistic about this I remember the first rule of sustainable living, "Progress over perfection." This is especially true during a pandemic.

One of the most basic things you can do for our planet is to recycle. Recycle - don't wish cycle. If you're not sure if something is recyclable, look it up or dispose of it in your trash. It's better to recycle what you're 100% sure of than to impact everyone else recycling efforts by contaminating it and diverting it to a landfill. And while we're on the topic, next time you're at the store make note of the types of packaging you're putting into your cart. Could you purchase a mayo that comes in a glass jar instead of plastic? Could you purchase those peanuts from the bulk section rather than in that plastic bag? Shift your thinking just the slightest bit, and you'll be amazed at the impact.

I quit using single use plastic bags like Ziploc several years ago.  I've used Velcro banks like Lunchskins and Bees Wraps for sandwiches or in place of plastic wrap, but by far my favorite substitute are Stasher Bags

They're made from silicone, are freezer and dishwasher safe, and you can even sous vide in them! Aside from food I use their Go Bag as my wallet, and their water proof seal is perfect for storing a wet swimsuit or sweaty clothes post workout. If nothing else, they're gorgeous, and seeing them organized in rainbow order never ceases to put a smile on my face.

If you're reading this post, it's likely no surprise to you that I'm a huge reader. And though I love to own books, especially classics or books I want to read again, I get a lot of books from my library. When you check a book out from the library you're supporting your community in untold ways. You're showing the city you value the investment they've made in the books and staff; ensuring the space remains open for their other services including free internet access, research, and youth programming. And with every book you borrow instead of buy, you're shrinking your carbon footprint. 

One of the larger steps I've taken in my sustainability journey over the last year is monitoring my food waste. I'm strict about making a grocery list before I go to the store and don't buy anything unless I know exactly how I'll use it. 

When I'm trimming or peeling vegetables I save all the scraps, including onion and garlic skins, and store them in a half gallon sized Stasher (or old surviving Ziplock) in my freezer to use for stock. I'm getting more for my money, sending less to the landfill, and I always have stock on hand for recipes!

Diverting my clothing purchases to ethical and sustainable brands is definitely the most time intensive of my sustainability efforts. It sure is a lot faster to run to Target and pick up a new top than it is to painstakingly research brands to ensure they meet your ethical and sustainability standards. 

Sites like Good On You will do some of the work for you, but it still takes noticeable effort.

Some of my favorites (to get you started) are For Days, and Girlfriend Collective

For Days is the worlds first fully closed loop clothing company. Every item you buy from For Days comes with a swap credit. If you damage or get tired of your item you can send it back and use your credit to replace it. For Days will also repurpose or recycle that item leaving no waste in their wake. Oh, and as a part of their Take Back Bag program they'll take clothes of other brands and ensure they are sustainably re-purposed or recycled as well. What's not to love?

Athletic or athleisure wear is notoriously bad for the planet, but Girlfriend Collective is turning that around. Being eco-friendly is their top priority and all of their products are constructed from recycled materials and/or fabrics made from water bottles. You can find the breakdown of all of their products and construction here. OH, and I can't forget to tell you about their underwear. Not only are the comfortable, and sustainably made, but like all of their products can be swapped and recycled through their re-Girlfriend program.

Buying secondhand is always better for the environment than buying new. So when I'm looking for something from a brand I know no longer meets my sustainability standards I turn to websites like Poshmark to pick up something new-to-me.

I'll be honest with you, when I sat down to write this post I was feeling less than optimistic, but working through this list of swaps and practices I'm passionate about has helped me get a glimpse of the silver lining.

Small steps do matter. Your efforts matter. If you ever need a reminder, I'm here for you. -xo Sydney

Comments

Popular Posts