Sydney Reads and Reads: January

In the spirit of my intention to read a more diverse array of books this year, my reading list for January comprised itself of books exclusively by women, and all taking place (at least in part) in the present day.  Extra points if it was written by or about diverse women. So here's what I read!


What I took away from Unsheltered, by Barbara Kingsolver, was a story about facing the truth. About the reality that you can do everything right, work hard all your life and it could all still come crumbling down around you. And how two families, from very different times, sharing the same house, confront those odds. It was thought-provoking, beautifully written, and I would recommend it without hesitation.


The hype surrounding Rupi Kaur is so so real friends. I'm unwaveringly grateful to have picked up her first collection at the time I did.  I read it in two sittings, and with as dog eared as these pages are I'm sure I'll be back for more. 


The Proposal, by Jasmine Guillory, was the perfect read for a snowy weekend in.  It follows smart and savvy freelance writer Nikole Patterson through a very public breakup and into what feels like every girl's rebound fantasy.  Until it starts to turn into something more.  This book is funny, smart, and full of diverse characters who you'd want to befriend in real life.  I mean, who wouldn't want a BFF who owns a cupcake shop?! Pick up The Proposal for your next flight and you won't regret it. 


I'm happy I added The Far Field, by Madhuri Vijay to my Book of the Month Box.  It allowed me to step outside of myself and examine my privilege, both as a white woman, and an upper-middle-class person, in ways I could not have imagined. It was also deeply interesting to get a first-hand account of Kashmiri life. Vijay creates such a vivid sense of place at times I felt transported. If you're interested in India, or an a-typical coming of age story The Far Field is for you. 


Dream More, by Dolly Parton, was our first Book Club selection of 2019.  It was short and simple but left an impact on me.  Dolly speaks truth through her lyrics, knows exactly who she is (and doesn't apologize for it), is an incredible businesswoman, and never forgets to give back to the community which has given her so much.

BONUS, I actually got to discuss this months book and catch up with Molly and Kevin in PERSON when I was in New York at the beginning of February! I hadn't seen Molly in person in over three years. Can you believe it!


The last book I read (or at least started) in January was Severance, by Ling Ma, yet another Book of the Month pick.  I was NOT a fan. First off, I found the central character, Candace Chen, very difficult to like.  There's a lot of similarities to our moving-to-New-York timelines, but even that failed to make me root for her.  I found the portions of the book about her emigration and family life very interesting but the present day portions of the plot less than gripping. I would assume the whole point of the book is for the reader to realize that all the things we're waiting around for in life won't serve us meaningfully in the long term, but even that I would say is a stretch. I kept waiting for a plot twist or for something, anything really, to happen and it never did. If you've read this and feel differently please comment. I want to understand what's made this book so popular!

February's books, thus far, have been a mixed bag of New York, troubling Memoirs, Presidents, and Mafia Dons.  So definitley keep your eyes out for the post, it won't be one to miss! -xo Sydney


Comments

Popular Posts